In this article I will tell you all the features, capabilities and functions in the virtual classroom for one-to-one online tutoring session.
- Once a session is booked, student and tutor can launch the session at the scheduled time. Please refer our video on how to launch an online tutoring session to launch a session.
- If a tutor is launching session for the first time, then he/she will have to install a plugin in your browser for screen recording and sharing. Immediately after launching the session they will get add the extension popup. Here click on ‘OK'.
- If they are using chrome browser then Google plugin page will open, click on Add Extension button
- Once the plugin has been added, go back to virtual classroom session and click on refresh . Now a popup will appear, asking to choose the window to record. In case you are using Windows machine, make sure that you have selected share audio option.
- Once done, next step is to enable communication. You have two options here. If you do not have high-speed internet or your internet speed fluctuates or you do not want to show your face, you can choose to enable only audio. Otherwise click on the video button, to have audio-video communication.
- If during the class, tutor and student face issues like buffering of video, then they have to just refresh the page and join the session again using only audio option.
- If you want to enlarge the video feed of the tutor or student then you can click on the video you can also increase and decrease the size of the video. To minimize it back, click on close symbol.
- You also have a text box, where you can type your messages. This is generally used if the student or teacher wants to send long messages like questions or answers.
In the virtual classroom, a tutor can teach one or multiple students using available different tools. Broadly speaking, four tabs are available in virtual classroom- whiteboard, document, video and screen sharing.
First and most commonly used tool is the whiteboard. Using a whiteboard, both tutor and student can write on the whiteboard and collaborate in real time.
- In whiteboard, a tutor and student can write using pencil or text box.
- In whiteboard, you can draw various shapes. You can change color and thickness of what you are writing. You can also highlight whatever you have written.
- Tutors will have two more options than students. A tutor can clear entire whiteboard. If the current whiteboard is completely exhausted, he can add new whiteboard by clicking on + symbol next to W1.
Second tab is Document. A tutor can share documents like pdf, word, power point presentation, excel etc. during the online class with the student.
- If you already have the required document in your media library, you can select those files. Else you can click on add files button, to add the documents from your system. After selecting the document which you want to share, you have to click on the start button. Here a point to note is, you can upload up-to 5 Mb documents from your system.
- When a tutor is in process of uploading a document, the student will see only uploading symbol in black background. Once the document is uploaded completely, the student will start seeing it.
- By using the navigation button, the tutor can go to different pages of the document and you can also use the rotation button to rotate the file. It is especially useful if you are using an image or want to rotate your pdf file. You can also use zoom in and zoom out button, according to your requirement. Before zoom in or zoom out your pdf make sure you have cleared the page.
The third tab is video.
- Here you can play Youtube videos by copying the link and pasting in the text field.
- You can also play the videos which have been added media library. Tutors can play, pause or move forward and backward the video.
Last tab is of screen sharing. Using screen sharing, you can show students files from your computer or show different websites like Wikipedia
- Before sharing the screen, tutor and student have to enable his / her video. Screen sharing can only be done from Google Chrome browser, not any other browser.
- To do screen sharing go to screen sharing tab, click on Start screen sharing.
- Select the Window or file which you want to share. Point to note is, do not select the same window where you are conducting the class.
- On top left side of the screen, you will find 'Capture screenshot’ button. Once clicked, whatever you have written in whiteboard and study material will be saved in your profile.
- To end the session, you need to click on 'End Session' button.
- Please note, do not close the tab when it is showing ‘Please wait.. saving your screen recording'. Once recording gets saved session will end automatically
In the next article I will explain how a tutor and a student can use virtual classroom in course sessions.